We tend to notice how big things affect our mood. Taking a vacation to Hawaii, marriage, divorce, death, and serious financial issues are a few of the big items. However, small things can also impact your mood in a big way, and the small things happen more frequently. Understanding the day-to-day, small things that affect your mood in big ways is important.
Small things that affect your mood in big ways:
- If you’re feeling sluggish or irritable, you might just need a drink of water. Some people don’t have the benefit of good thirst mechanisms. Have a glass of water at least every few hours. Your mood might improve considerably.
- There are at least a few songs that impact your mood in a positive way. It only takes a moment of listening before you can feel your mood shift. Try to listen to a few songs you love each day. Upload them to your smart phone so they’re always handy.
- Certain smells can alter your mood. Your smelly cubical mate has one effect. A scent that reminds you of your all-time best date has a different effect.
- Are there any scents that you love? Find a candle or air freshener that mimics a smell you enjoy.
- Too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, or just right. A nice day lifts your mood. A dark, rainy day can drag it down. While you can’t control the weather, you can do your best to place yourself in an environment that enhances your mood or even just close your eyes for a few minutes and visualize being in your ideal spot to lift your spirits.
- Receiving a compliment is sure to enhance your mood. Just a few kind words can have a big impact. Giving compliments can have a positive effect on your mood, too. The opposite is also true. A few unkind words can result in a bad mood. Keep that in mind when you’re talking to others.
- If you have children, you know what they’re like when sleep-deprived. You’re not much better! Ensure that you’re getting enough sleep that your mood isn’t being affected negatively.
7. Your posture.
- Studies have shown that slouching results in more negative thoughts, and standing or sitting up straight results in more positive thinking.
8. The food you consume.
- It’s common to have a mild reaction to certain foods and not even be aware of it. Try eliminating certain foods from your diet for a couple of days and see if it changes how you feel. Eliminate one at a time or you won’t be sure which food causes issues. The most common culprits are:
- Peanuts, which aren’t actually a nut.
- Anything with a high sugar content.
9. Financial issues.
- You might not consider financial issues to be a “small thing,” but even small financial issues can harm your mood. For example, one unexpected bill can create a lot of emotional turmoil.
10. Spending a lot of time with negative people.
- Whether it’s a coworker, family member, or friend, spending time with a very negative person can sour your mood. Try your best to limit your time with negative people and surround yourself with those who are more positive.
- Interestingly, when you least feel like exercising, doing so seems to have the biggest positive influence on your mood. A brisk walk is all you need to boost your mood. It doesn’t take much to make a difference.
You don’t need to purchase a sports car or vacation if you’re looking to boost your mood. There are plenty of small things that affect your mood in big ways. These small things can occur on a daily basis and are well worth the effort to either seek or avoid. Focus on the small things that enhance or detract from your mood and you’ll enjoy pleasant moods more often.
Meditating and being grateful for your blessings is also one of the small things that affect your mood in big ways, so remember to download the FREE 5 minute “Too Blessed To Be Stressed” guided meditation.
Enjoy even more soothing guided meditations, 10+ hours of exclusive, relaxing meditative music, empowering affirmations, group happiness coaching, and other helpful resources that allow you to experience more happiness by joining Meditations, Music, & More.
Also feel free to contact me anytime for a private, complimentary happiness coaching session via email and for more personalized tips to help you live a happier, healthier, less stressed life.
Happiness coach passionate about helping you live a happier, healthier, less stressed life. Also love meditating, blogging, recording voiceovers, singing, and writing great music. Dedicated to utilizing my talents to help make your day shine! Contact me at [email protected]